Creature Feature Friday: Grootslang!
Yes, it's as weird as it sounds. No, it has nothing to do with Guardians of the Galaxy. Here are 5 interesting details about this hybrid cryptid:
1) Grootslang is a legendary cryptid that is reputed to dwell in a deep cave in the Richtersveld, South Africa, as well as in warm rivers and lakes. According to the legend, Grootslang is as old as the world itself.
2) Grootslang means "big snake," but this mythical being is actually half snake, half elephant. Makes sense, right? Not really - Grootslang is an experiment gone awry, having been a terrible mistake crafted by the gods, who imbued it with too much strength, cunning and intellect. To rectify their mistake, the gods split the Grootslangs in half, creating individual elephants and snakes. But one of their original hybrids escaped to forever terrorize the world - and also hoard treasure.
3) The cave that the Grootslang lives in is known as the "Wonder Hole" or the "Bottomless Pit," and according to local legend is filled with diamonds. As the saying goes, diamonds are a Grootslang’s best friend!
4) Though Grootslang itself is half elephant, it still enjoys luring other elephants into its cave and devouring them for dinner. Incidentally Grootslang does not get invited to many ancestral elephant reunions.
5) If you, a human, are ever caught by the Grootslang, it’ll probably eat you also, because it has a hearty appetite for cruelty. But it may be possible to bargain for your life if you offer Grootslang a substantial amount of precious gems. Because you never leave home without a sack full of those, right?
I AM GROOTSLANG. Do you believe in the legend of Grootslang?
The Grootslang illustrations above were obtained from Monsters Vault. CLICK HERE to view their encyclopedic site of monsters from all over the world!